Friday, February 17, 2012

OOTD: For my Nana RIP

My grandmother died on Valentines Day.
I got the call when I got to work on Tuesday and have been bust at my grandfather's home helping him sort through all of this. 

This week has been very stressful. I was supposed to leave to San Francisco to be there for my little brother's kidney transplant, but instead stayed back because my mom needs to be there for my brother. I feel so sad for my mom. Mourning the loss of her mother, while sitting bedside to her 15 year old son while he under-go's this life saving surgery. It's a weird mix of life and death. 

SO, no OOTD for me this week. Instead I want to share with you my a few of my Nana's OOTD's, for she LOVED fashion. 

Let me also tell you a little about her. 

My nana Marie was born a poor Jewish immigrant who with her family, escaped Russia in the time of the Pogroms. Her family moved to the very non-Jewish midwest and had a little trouble assimilating into their very Christian community. My nana, ran away to Las Vegas when she was a late teen and became a dancer... though I will never know what KIND of dancer. She married a very older man and her best friend Nicky married an older man too. They eventually ditched the old guys and my nana met my papa, a handsome Brazilian Jewish immigrant. They were married in a blink of the eye and they moved to California, where my nana's family had eventually moved. While my papa was in the army fighting in Europe against the Nazi's, my nana worked in factories and drove a dump truck. 

She was a feminist, an animal rights activist, a philanthropist. She was tough and sometimes a little manic. She was passionate, eccentric, kooky, interesting and loving and I was very close to her. I was her only grand-daughter, the oldest grandchild and she often called me her "first love. " 

I am going to miss her. She lived 91 years. 























 






9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry!! Your nana looks very pretty and good person. If you need help or someone to talk.. I'm here!! lascositasdelulu@hotmail.es
    many hugs and encouragement!

    Lourdes from Spain
    lascositasdelulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's beautiful and those pics are amazing. I wish you all the best and hope all goes well with your brother amd he has a speedy recovery.

    All the best,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loos. She was so beautiful and the pictures are an amazing look at her life and love and also maybe where your love of fashion comes from? Hugs lady... I know what it feels like to loose your grandparent that you loved so much. Take care of yourself!

    Crystal
    www.talesfromthefatside.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was a beautiful woman who obviously lived an amazing life! I can tell she will be missed greatly and her time here was spent very well! Good luck to your brother and I feel for you and yours! Sending best wishes from California!!!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss....She is so beautiful!!!! I can see where you get your looks from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful woman and an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with your family in this time of loss and transition with your brother's surgery.
    ♡ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sorry for your loss. But she sound phenomenal, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so sorry for your loss. Your nana sounds like an amazing, wonderful person. Again, my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you ladies for all of the wonderful comments. I really appreciate it! I am pretty at peace with it all. My Nana lived a long and meaningful life full of love. You can not be sad over that. I just worry about my Papa. 68 years of marriage is a long time. I can not even imagine losing my husband and we have been together for almost 5 years (married for 1.5)...

    ReplyDelete