Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oh Oprah!

I am going to post later today but I wanted to share this now. 

It is so important to love yourself and it is really difficult to let go of the egos that we carry and hold so tightly. 

Last night, I was getting ready for bed and happened to stumble across Oprah's new network OWN. I have never been a big fan of the Oprah show when it was on. I think that she an amazing woman who really overcame so much and is someone that younger women can really look up to and admire, but her show was a little irritating. Anywho, when I flipped to her channel, our eyes seemed to meet as she stared into the camera and said the following: 

"Do not wait until you are on your death bed before you start o recognize that no thing - nothing - no material possessions, no position in life, no job, no status ever really matters in terms of defining who you really are. No Thing has ever defined who you really are." (which I later found out that this was a quote by Eckhard Tolle)

I really needed to hear this right now for so many reasons. I started to absolutely break down in tears, shaking my  head agreeing with Oprah. I had a weird sense of peace wash over me. Maybe I am pre-menstrual, but I can not keep thinking about this. I know that I am really hard on my self and this helped. I think I am going to be thinking much differently and being aware more of how I let my ego get in the way of my true self. 

When I went to Oprah's website to get the exact quote, I found this too that she left on the same page: 

LOVE AFTER LOVE by Derek Walcott

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life

No comments:

Post a Comment